Bring history alive through American Victory educational programs!
The SS American Victory is the ideal place to enhance your students’ knowledge of major themes in American history. Learn about the importance of the home front in fostering a place in Women’s History and Minority History. Experience the diverse culture of Florida’s maritime history as well as the characteristics that define her as a region. Relive the Cold War Era that transformed the political, economic, and social conditions of our country. Interpret the difference between combat and civilian beliefs and roles. Younger children can learn of core values and characteristics as exemplified by our nation’s veterans and active military such as leadership, dignity, respect and more. Experience these major themes and more with the American Victory Educational Programs.
Did you know that:
- Florida Shipyards produced 240 merchant ships during World War II.
- Forty-five ships were sunk in the Gulf of Mexico during World War II.
- One in 26 Merchant Mariners died during World War II-the highest casualty rate of any service during World War II.
- The Merchant Marine was the only branch of the service to allow women and minorities to serve in combat during World War II.
- Hundreds of World War II merchant ships later served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
American Victory education programs offer a fun and educational experience for your group. Go back in time with tours, outreach programs, or special events.
The Educational Programs follow Florida’s Sunshine State Standards and are specially tailored for your group.
Educators will work with you to tailor the program towards your needs. Pre-and post-visit material is available for all educational programs to enhance your educational experience. Picnic tables may be reserved in advance for lunch.
- Educator Resources
- Additional Resources